Pronunciation is a subject that is rarely taught in class. This is due to several reasons: lack of time, lack of knowledge (teaching pronunciation requires you to have some basic knowledge about phonology) and many other reasons. Nevertheless pronunciation plays a big role when we speak Spanish. If people cannot understand what you say the communication is not possible.
We could ask ourselves how far we should go when we try to improve our Spanish pronunciation. The answer is quite simple, you must be intelligible. Once you reach that point any additional effort in order to continue improving this subject might be pointless. If people stop asking you to repeat yourself that means that you are on the right track and you should not be too concerned about this subject
Easy steps to take to improve your pronunciation in Spanish:
- Take a look at a simple guide of Spanish phonetics and check out what the biggest problems are for the people who speak your mother tongue when speaking Spanish.
- Pay attention to the intonation, the musicality of the Spanish language. Your intonation is what gives sense to what you say. If you want to be easily understood you will need to stress the right words and use the right intonation, otherwise, even though your pronunciation is clear, people will struggle to understand what you say.
- Practice shadowing https://bit.ly/2HTXZjn. Using a pair of headphones, repeat aloud without any delay what a native speaker says.
- When you watch TV in Spanish, pay attention to how native speakers move their mouths, lips, jaw, etc, so that you get used to how they form the different sounds.
- Record your voice regularly. This is a very good good way of detecting where your mistakes are. In addition, recording your voice will allow you to see your improvement.
- Get feedback from your teacher or another native speaker who can point out what you need to improve. If you do not have a native speaker who can give you a hand with your pronunciation you can use this website: www.reddit.com/r/JudgeMyAccent, where you can upload a recording and receive feedback about what you need to improve for free.
- Sing songs in Spanish. This will allow you to get used to the stress and the rhythm of the Spanish language.
Do not forget to put into practice what you have learnt.